Monday 21 May 2007

The Cutty Sark: A Sad Sight Indeed!

This is the last photo I had taken of the Cutty Sark before it went into the restoration project end of last year.

Well I've just returned from my tour of the Cutty Sark and the damage I have to say seems extensive. But what truly is encouraging among the rubble is knowing that 50% of it had already been moved elsewhere for the restoration. Whether this act of today was intentional or not, the bottom line is that what happened to the Cutty Sark is ultimately tragic.

The police are there still inspecting and I have heard that they are reviewing all CCTV footage. The fire according to news sources must have started about 5 am when witnesses saw some fire in the Cutty Sark and called the London Fire Brigade.


I have to admit that I never really knew how attached to the Cutty Sark I'd become. Just like many, I had taken it for granted that it would always be there. It's a shame to see what stands there now, a ghost ship, charred and in singes. It may be a while before the clipper can shine again (if ever) but one thing remains true today: It has touched all of our lives and will have a place in our hearts forever.



No comments: